Three Essentials for a Chemical-Free Kid’s Room
Aug 14, 2014 04:44AM
By investing in three essential items, it’s easy to create a kid’s room that’s as safe and healthy as it is fun and relaxing.
Organic or all-natural mattress or mattress topper: Unlike conventional mattresses, organic mattresses are crafted using renewable and natural materials. Available at various price points, organic mattresses are also available in sizes that are just right for each stage of childhood:
- Baby: A child receives the best and safest start in life with an organic crib mattress like the No-Compromise™ Organic Crib Mattress by naturepedic, which is completely waterproof with a non-toxic fire barrier system;
- Toddler: Just-their-size mattress options for this age include the Toddler Mattress by Pure Rest Organics, which features organic cotton and chemical-free wool;
- Pre-schooler, grade-schooler and teen: Once they’ve graduated to a big-girl or big-boy twin or full bed, make sure it’s organic or all-natural like The Grow with Me Sleep System from Suite Sleep’s Little Lamb Organics line, which starts with a latex mattress and grows with two different toppers that add plushness and comfort as needed; and
- Young adult: Outfit their dorm room with an XL twin mattress topper—available in wool, latex or cotton—to provide extra cushioning, soft comfort and a barrier between them and their conventional mattress; a topper like the Classic 1000 Wool Mattress Topper by Naturally Organic goes on top of the mattress, and then the fitted sheet goes over both the topper and the mattress itself.
- Washable, kid-proof pillows: Whether it’s from nightly pillow fights or frequent contact with chocolate-covered fingers, a child’s pillow needs to be laundered—often. The Organic Rubber Children’s Pillow by Naturally Organic is chemical-free, comfy and easy-care! And, at 14” x 19”, it’s the perfect size for children. Filled with organic rubber that’s antibacterial, hypoallergenic and dust resistant, it has a heavy-duty, 100% organic cotton cover that’s removable and machine washable.
- Air purifier:According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “the air within homes and other buildings can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air in even the largest and most industrialized cities”. As a result, it’s now vital to clean the air in a child’s room with an air purifier like Baby’s Breath by Austin Air (available in pink or blue!). Using HEPA filtration, this kind of air purifier eliminates 99.97% of all particles three microns in size or larger, making a difference that’s immediate and noticeable.
Author: Christine Chamberlin is co-founder and co-owner of The Clean Bedroom, the country’s premier resource for allergy-free, eco-friendly mattresses, bedding and accessories. Celebrating its 10th anniversary later this year, The Clean Bedroom has sleep showrooms in Greenwich, CT, Wellesley, MA, Portland, ME, Kittery, ME, New York, NY, Santa Monica, CA and Austin, TX, where customers can test-drive (or test-nap!) an organic mattress for every bedroom, from Master and nursery through guest room and dorm room. Online, on the phone and in each showroom, the company’s trained organic mattress specialists help match customers with their ideal mattress, without pressure or marketing hype. For more information, visit thecleanbedroom.com or call 207-438-9778.