5 Biggest Misconceptions About Losing Weight
Jan 03, 2013 08:17AM
Each year, 1 in 3 people create some sort of a New Year’s resolution involving their health. 1 in 4 vow to lose weight each year, but over 50% of those people fail. Are you among those who have found it nearly impossible to get to your healthiest weight?
My colleague, Dr. Marcia A. Harris and I are very passionate about healthy weight loss. We have both tried various methods – with our patients and on ourselves – and found what works and what doesn’t. Here are the 5 most common weight loss misconceptions that may be keeping you stuck in your overweight body - and how to overcome them.
- It’s too complicated. That’s what people often say when they come into my office. It’s really not. When you work with a holistic physician who can help you run some tests, you’ll likely find that something’s out of balance, or maybe a choice that you were making that you thought was healthy isn’t helping as much as you thought. Once your body is balanced, with a healthy diet, an appropriate exercise plan and wellness lifestyle practices, you will notice the weight falling off much faster than you imagined.
- I will have to starve myself. Dr. Harris explains, “Many people think that they have to give up all of their favorite foods for good. That’s just not true. In fact, starvation is counterproductive because the body reacts to starvation by holding on to what it has. People who incorporate their favorite foods in the right proportions in a health-supportive way CAN enjoy just about anything they like!”.
- Gaining weight is an inevitable part of getting older. Women, and men both experience shifts in their hormones as they age. But that doesn’t mean that they have to gain weight. “Balancing your hormones, thyroid and adrenal system is a large part of having a healthy metabolism, which makes attaining and maintaining a healthy weight much easier,” assures Dr. Harris.
- Even if I lose the weight, I’ll just gain it all back later. Working with a holistic medical doctor will give you the support you need so that, once you lose the weight, you will enjoy your new, healthy weight for as long as you keep focusing on your wellness lifestyle. “I keep my patients motivated and help them get back on the right track when they slip a little. That’s what I’m here for,” says Dr. Harris. “It’s all about resetting your body’s natural set point, which means reprogramming your body to recognize your new healthy weight as ‘normal’ for you.”
- It’s too expensive to lose weight. How much have you spent this year on things that sabotage your health? How much have you spent buying fancy coffees, cakes, cookies, pies, chips, alcohol, sodas and fast food? But how valuable is it to you to lower your risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease? How valuable is it to you to see the children in your life graduate from high school or get married? How much would you pay to spend as many years as you can with loved ones? How valuable is it to you to wake up feeling filled with energy and able to physically do the things you truly love doing every day? “Attaining your healthy weight is an investment in your life and health. You will spend much more money in the long run if you DON’T find the time and money to lose the weight now,” encourages Dr. Harris. I couldn’t agree more.
Are you ready to finally reach the healthiest weight for you? Partner with Dr. Marcia A. Harris, who specializes in hormonal balancing, HCG Diet and nutrition for both men and women. She can help you create a plan to get balanced, lose weight and support you in keeping it off for good, so you can enjoy a healthier, more energetic 2013 and well beyond.
Mention Natural Awakenings to get $25 off your office visit with Dr. Marcia A. Harris or one of our other holistic medical doctors before January 31st, 2013.
For more information about Patients Medical call 347-269-4762 or visit www.patientsmedical.com
Written By: Dr. Rashi Gulati